Types of Hearing Aids
How do you choose?
There are a host of hearing aid types available today. Come to Harley Street Hearing for clear, independent professional advice.
We have a complete portfolio of hearing aids and are not tied to one manufacturer like many of the high-street providers. All hearing aids are personalised to your specific hearing requirements and lifestyle needs.
What styles are available to me?
The world’s first truly invisible hearing aid which can be worn 24/7 for up to 3 months at a time. They can be used in the shower, while sleeping and exercising and do not need batteries – you won’t even know you’re wearing them. Harley Street Hearing are the number 1 Lyric Centre in Europe. Lyric is only available through specialist approved audiology clinics. For full details click here.
IIC hearing aids fit deep into the ear canal, the visibility is dependent on the size and shape of the ear canal. These instruments are removed for showering and sleeping, but can be worn at all other times.
Unobtrusive hearing aids that are worn in the ear. Aesthetically pleasing, suitable for those with a mild to severe hearing loss. The smallest ITE-models are called CIC (Completely-in-Canal), as they fit completely in the ear canal.
Receiver in canal (RIC)/ Receiver in ear (RITE)
These hearing aids are small and feather-light. The discreet wire helps to create an aesthetically pleasing solution while the clever receiver (or speaker) placement makes for impressive speech clarity, even in noisy situations. They sit neatly behind your ear and are comfortable to wear.
Versatile and powerful hearing aids that are worn behind the ear. They can be utilised for all degrees of hearing losses, but are particularly beneficial for those with a severe to profound hearing loss.
Hearing Glasses (Spectacle Aids)
Combining Sound and Vision – Two types are available, the all-in-one version, and adapting your own glasses, for more details click here. Ask one of our audiologists to explain the pros and cons.
What are the different technologies available in digital hearing aids?
Hearing aids vary according to the technology and benefits they provide. Below is a guide to technology level. The technology level prescribed will vary depending on the lifestyle needs and budget of the individual. We will discuss the various options available for you at your hearing consultation.
- Highest number of channels for excellent compensation of hearing loss, sound quality and listening comfort.
- Multi-channel, fine, adaptive directional technology and noise cancellation for the best hearing in competing noise.
- Specialist high-tech features for different acoustic environments.
- Automatic situation recognition and adaptation, no need for manual selection of listening programmes.
- Suitable for those with a varied lifestyle with higher demands on their hearing.
- Medium channel configuration for compensation of hearing loss.
- Sound processing to improve communication in background noise.
- Provides excellent high-tech features but may not be for the user with high demands on their hearing.
- Standard channel configuration with added noise reduction features for improved listening comfort.
- These hearing aids will provide good, clear sound quality with additional features for noisy environments.
- A simple digital amplifier for people with less variable listening environments and lower communication demands.
- Least channels for compensation of hearing loss.
- Single channel fixed directionality – less effective in noise.
- Suitable for use at home and one-to-one communication.
What to do next?
If you’re reading this then you already have some concerns for yourself or a relative. Our highly trained audiologists will be pleased to check your (or their) hearing and advise you.
Call now or complete the form for our next available appointment to suit your schedule.